Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Seriously?!?!?

One thing I have learned living in Texas is aggressive driving. Granted I try to be the nice driver because I know that there is going to be a time when I may be the one who needs to move over to the next lane. Well tonight I stopped by the dealership to get my oil changed and tires rotated. While I was waiting I saw the guy who sold us this vehicle last fall and was amazed with his memory! Not only did he remember the make and color of the vehicle that we traded in, he also remembered that we found the $20 bill we thought Ean had lost the Christmas before when we were taking our things out of the old truck. It was really nice that he remembered me from last August. So needless to say I was now going to contend with rush hour traffic. Not a biggie, I am not in a major hurry. I picked up Eli from daycare and was on my way to get Ean. I turned on to a frontage road and patiently waited with everyone else. I had never seen traffic backed up as far as it was, but I'm usually an hour early too. (I sat through 4 red light cycles.) All of a sudden, this lady, with bleach blond hair and large sunglasses, in her late model upper end 4 door white Hyundai (and I can only remember the first 3 digits of her license plate) decided she needed to do the 4 lane shuffle. I didn't realize she wanted my lane because most people use a blinker when they want to merge into a lane and besides I am not a mind reader. So she decided she needed to honk at me and throw her hands in the air and called me a nasty name that starts with a b, one didn't need to be very good at reading lips to catch that one!! I was trying to tell her I was sorry that I did not see her blinker and didn't know she wanted to merge however, that isn't so easily relayed. So at this point she finally turned her blinker on and then got in behind me. Apparently the first honk wasn't enough and she felt the need to honk at me again AND decided that she needed to show me how pretty her gold bracelets were while sliding down her arm to raise her hand and show me her nice french tips, but only with one finger... At that point, I was truly amazed that she got her panties in that big of a wad over that. So I called Nate to write down her plate number but he wasn't able to... but after I told him how nice she and friendly she has been he asked me if I flipped her off back. Now that is not the typical first reaction I have in situations like that. But when she went by me, I felt the urge and followed through, granted I felt better for a second, but then realized that now I have stooped to her level and I do not like feeling that way. After she got into her right hand turn lane from 4 lanes over, I realized why she was in such a hurry. She was going to Chik-fil-a. Seriously, I do not get people like that. What did she gain out of that whole situation? (other than getting a reaction out of me... which was provoked by my hubby.) Ridiculous!

4 comments:

  1. Well...sad to say that I can relate to BOTH you and the other driver, however, I am a firm believer in BLINKERS!!!! Actually, in a situation like that, I probably would have intentionally gone slow and provoked her even more...sometimes I really can be a bitch. hehehe. :-) I would have waved to her with ALL my fingers showing her my uneven nails and worn out cuticles indicating, "BRING IT ON!!!" Then, I would have purposely shown her my BEAUTIFUL laugh!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting under Anna's name as I'm too lazy to log in and out under my account. In the past, I myself would have resorted to the one finger salute, but have married into a wonderful tactic that will sure to please your soul as well as ears when dealing with such idiots. A wonderful discovery called the horn. And the way the horn is used is key. Anna's wonderful use has made me appreciate the art of horning. In the past when encountering idiots such as this, the horn was typically used in a short burst and followed up by a salute or an easy to be lip read F.U.A. hole. Now, I have adopted the "Anna" method of hornnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn and just when you think you should lay off of it, you need to keep it down until it becomes an extension of the other person's soul. nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. A good horn involves a MINIMUM 15 second hold. That's it. You don't need to punctuate or anything. They've gotten the message that you are either a psycho or are now making fun of the entire situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was matt, btw. but i agree.

    horns are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it... the art of horning... That is awesome!!
    I just wish I could have video taped how ridiculous she looked.
    I guess I am a little shy with the horn down here because you never know if the person next to you is "Packing" or not... It is kinda nerve wracking. I will honk if someone is about to hit me... although the day after we bought the truck an idiot at Auto Zone backed into us... Nate was honking like a mad man at him and everything!!

    ReplyDelete